|Muslim World – Follow on Twitter|
|Latest Islamic news of all over the World. Latest Muslim News|
Let us look at the benefits of males wearing a beard. Doctor Daniel G. Freeman, of University of Chicago, did research on the reproductive value of male beardedness. To test his theory Doctor Freedman and his graduate students asked a group of undergraduates about their feelings about beardedness by giving them questionnaires and interviewing them. Furthermore, on e of the graduate students interviewed seven women about their feelings towards men with beards. The female students rated a bearded male face as more masculine, independent, sophisticated and mature compared to a clean-shaven male face. They concluded from their studies that beard increases “sexual magnetism” and attractiveness and makes men more appealing to women. The presence of a beard makes a man appear more masculine to women, and she feels more feminine towards him.
This research carried out by Doctor Freedman in the field of social psychology shows that the presence of a beard on man’s face makes him more sexually attractive to women.
Beard in Islam
Allah Almighty said in the Noble Quran:
“O ye who believe! Obey God, and obey the Apostle, and those charged with authority among you. If ye differ in anything among yourselves, refer it to God and His Apostle, if ye do believe in God and the Last Day: That is best, and most suitable for final determination.” (The Noble Quran, 4:59)
“When there comes to them some matter touching (Public) safety or fear, they divulge it. If they had only referred it to the Apostle, or to those charged with authority among them, the proper investigators would have Tested it from them (direct). Were it not for the Grace and Mercy of God unto you, all but a few of you would have fallen into the clutches of Satan.” (The Noble Quran, 4:83)
Since growing beards is not addressed in the Noble Quran, then it is important to see what Prophet Mohammed (SAW) said regarding it and follow his commands.
Importance of the Beard in Islam in the words of Rasulullah (SAW):
- Rasulullah (SAW) said “I have no connection iwth one who shaves, shouts and tears his clothing eg. in grief or affication.” – Reported by Abu Darda (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 501
- The teachings of Hadhrat Ammar Bin Yaasir, Abdullah Ibn Umar, Sayyidina Umar, Abu Hurairah and Jaabir (R.A.), indicate that ALL used to keep beards that were one fist length or more. Hadhrat Jaabir (R.A.) had said: “We used to grow long beards and only during Hajj and Umrah did we trim them to the required length (i.e. fist length).”
- Hadhrat Abdullah Ibn Umar (R.A.) relates that: “He who imitates the kuffar (non-believers) and dies in that state, he will be raised up with them on the Day of Qiyamat (Judgement).”
- Rasulullah (SAW) says: “Trim closely the moustache, and let the beard flow (Grow).” – Narrated Ibn Umar (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 498.
- “Rasulullah (SAW) ordered us to trim the moustache closely and spare the beard” says Ibn Umar. – Muslim, Hadith no. 449
- Rasulullah (SAW)said: “Act against contrary to the polythesists, trim closely the moustache and grow the beard.” – Reported by Ibn Umar in Muslim, Hadith no. 500
- Rasulullah (SAW) said “Trim closely the moustache and grow the beard.” – Reported by Abu Hurairah (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 501
- Rasulullah (SAW) said: “Anyone who shaves has no claim to the mercy of Allah” – Reported by Ibn Abbas (R.A.) in Tibrabi
In a 1973 issue of psychology , Robert J. Pelligrini, a psychologist from California State University published the results of an experiment on the perception as a function of different state of beardedness or beardlessness. To carry out the experiment, Pelligrini hired eight full-bearded young men from the ages of 22-25 years, who were willing to have their beards completely shaved off. All men were professionally photographed in each of the following states:
- Full beard
- Clean shaven
Upon completion of the photographic sessions, there were a total of thirty two photographs i.e. four photos of each of the eight men. In the experiment, those photos were randomly distributed to subjects who were asked to rate their first impression based on a number of personality traits. The subjects who evaluated the photos compromised 64 male and 64 female psychology students. Hence, each photo was judged by two males and two females.
The result of this study by Pelligrini indicated a generally positive correlation between the amount of hair on the person’s face and his being perceived as masculine, good looking, dominant, mature, courageous, liberal, non-confirming, older healthy and attractive.
According tot he researches of herbalists, allowing the beard to grow prevents a person from contracting diseases of the throat and of the gums.
AN AMERICAN DOCTOR CHARLES HOLMES…
States, “I don’t understand why people feel uncomfortable growing a beard. When people have hair on their heads then what is the problem with keeping the hair on the face. If a person is suffering from loss of hair on the head then the person feels shy but it is astonishing that people today shave their beard with pleasure. A long beard saves a person from the cold affects reaching the neck….
We find that the beard is not only a command of the sacred law but beneficial for a person too. The Doctors and Philosophers of many years ago would keep a beard; take for instance, Charles Darwin, Louis Pastar, Abrahim Lincon and many others. It is only recently people have been removing it
THE JOB INTERVIEW
A person went for an interview once and he got the job with the condition that he removed the beard. The person refused and left the interview room. On his way out he saw a picture depicting Jesus on the wall. Taking this off he presented this to the interviewers and said, ‘If Jesus came to the interview, would you have told him the same.’ The interviewers were dumbfound, the person left leaving the picture with them. This is the attitude Muslims should have, meaning, if you want our expertise then you take us as we are physically and spiritually.
You may hear that some people say that bacteria grows in the beard is unhygienic. The answer tot that is shaving the beard rid natural cells from the face, hence leading to cancer of the face. The question to ask is that how can the beard have bacteria when one washes it five times a day whilst doing ablution.
Another benefit of the beard is that it saves a person from a sin. For instance you can change your clothes and become one of the common people, however, the beard differentiates from a believer to a non-believer. So a person will think twice before going to a place which are disallowed.
TIME WASTED IN SHAVING
Doctor Herbert Mescon from Boston University calculated that if a teenager begins shaving at the age of 15, then in his 55 or so years of shaving, he is likely to spend approximately 3350 hours, equivalent to 139 days, at this task in his lifetime.
WHERE DOES THE HAIR GO?
A man should think, how can he possibly place the hair which Allah, The Exalted, has commanded him to keep and practice of the Messenger, May Allah bless him and grant him peace, down the same drain pipe as one urinates, Is this the respect we have for the practice loved by the Prophet? We are so weak in faith that we want to follow the practices of the west rather than the Prophet. We are living in such a time where the women are wearing shirt and pants and trimming their hair, whilst the male are disfiguring themselves with rings on their faces. If a person does not keep a beard then how can he be recognized as a male, may Allah have mercy on us.
Scientific benefits for having a Beard
- A beard protects the face from harmful chemicals, and pollution in the air, which will cause cell damage, and increase wrinkling and bad skin. So keeping a beard protects your skin from the elements, reduces wrinkles, ageing, and bad skin.
- The beard covers the skin, which protects the sebaceous glands from being infected by acne vulgaris bacteria, thus preventing acne/spots/pimples!
- Keeping your face warmer and protects your chin from dangers.
- It prevents disease of throat and gums.
- Most of the respiratory problems are prevented by keeping beard.
- It is the identity for a man with respect to woman.
- Research says the longer and thicker the beard the wiser the person is supposed to be.
- What is the total time spent in shaving by a man in his whole lifetime? Dr. Herbert Mescon from Boston University did research to give an answer to this question. Dr. Mescon calculated that if a teenager begin shaving at the age of 15, then in his 55 or so years of shaving, he is likely to spend about 3350 hours (which are equivalent to about 139 full days) at this task in his lifetime. That is an incredible amount of time which literally goes down the drain. You can add to it thousands of dollars one spends during his lifetime on products for shaving (razors, shaving gels, after-shave lotions etc).