What is Kaaba :
The Kaaba is a building located inside the masjid known as Al-Masjidu’l-Haram in Mecca. The masjid was built around the original Kaaba. The Kaaba is the holiest place in Islam. Muslims throughout the world face the Kaaba during their prayers.
The Kaaba is a large masonry structure roughly the shape of a cube. (The name Kaaba comes from the Arabic word meaning “cube”). It is made of granite from the hills near Mecca. The most current dimensions for the structure are: 15 m high (49′) with sides measuring 10.5 m (34′) by 12 m (39′). It is covered by a black silk cloth decorated with gold-embroidered calligraphy. This cloth is known as the kiswah; it is replaced yearly.
Inside the Kaaba :
- There are three pillars inside
- There is a small table on the side to put items like perfume and incense burners.
- There are two lantern-type lamps hanging from a cross beam near the ceiling
- There are no electric lights inside
- The interior walls are clad with marble half-way to the roof.
- The entire floor is of marble except for a small portion which is called “Rukhamat Humra”.
- Tablets with Qur’anic inscriptions are inset in the marble.
- The top part of the walls is covered with a green cloth decorated with gold embroidered Qur’anic verses.
- There are no windows inside
- There is only one door
- The space can accommodate about 50 people
- In the corner called “Ar Rukne Yemeni” there is a place called “Mustajar” from where Fatema Binte Asad had entered to deliver Ali (AS) inside The Kaaba. Ali was, apart from being technically Prophet Mohammed (SA)’s cousin, he was his foster, son-in-law, constant companion and his appointed successor, which is refuted by majority of Muslims. Prophet Mohammed had inserted a silver nail on the red stone to mark Ali’s birthplace; the spot is known as “Rukhamat Hamra”. This is inside Kaa’bah.
Significants of Kiswa (Kaaba’s Pardah) :
“KAABA, the house of ALAAH in MEKKAH is covered by a black cloth called “KISWA” which is produced by and chnaged every year disinged by a special factory in MEKKAH.
Costs approximately US $ 17 MILLION.
The cloth is made of 670 kgs of SILVER and dyed BLACK. About 129 kgs. of PURE GLOD and 50 kgs. of SILVER used in writing the QURANIC VERSES over the cloth.
Total area of the cloth is 658 sq. meters.
Read full information here on Kiswah – Significants of Kaaba cover