Home » Others » Islamic Info » Imam Hussain AS shrine history

Imam Hussain AS shrine history

The repairing works and modifications that the holy shrine had witnessed since the martyrdom of Imam Hussain AS shrine until the present day are included in a form of a timetable with a reference to the date of each one. This timetable is quoted from the book entitled (Al-Husain and Al-Abbas shrines history).

Imam Hussain AS Shrine

History of Imam Hussain (AS) shrine

Hijri Year Gregorian Year Events
10th Moharram 61 lst October, 680 Imam Hussain (sa) was buried at this sacred spot.
65 18th August, 684 Mukhtar ibn Abu Obaidah Thaqafi built an enclosure around the grave, in the form of a mosque and erected a dome over the grave. There were two entrances to this building.
132 12th August, 749 A roof for the shrine was built during the reign of the Abbasid Caliph Abi Al-Abbas Al-Safah
140 31st March, 763 The roof was destroyed during the reign of Abi Ja’far Al-Mansur
158 11th November, 774 The destroyed roof was rebuilt during Al-Mahdi reign
171 22nd June, 787 During the reign of the Caliph Harun ar-Rashid, the mausoleum was destroyed and the lote-tree that stood besides the grave of Imam Husain (sa) was cut down.
193 25th October, 808 The destroyed roof was rebuilt during Al-Mahdi reign
236 15th July, 850 The Caliph al-Mutawakkil destroyed the mausoleum and ordered the nearby land, including the grave, to be plowed.
247 17th March, 861 Al-Muntasir reconstructed the shrine. A flag column was put on it to be recognizable by the visitors, many shi’as started to travel and settle there
273 8th June, 886 The construction built by Al-Muntasir collapsed; the ruler of Tubristan Mohammed son of Mohammed son of Zaid rebuilt it
280 23rd March, 893 The Alid representative built a dome in the centre, with two roofs, on either side and an enclosure with two entrances.
307 19th August, 977 Adzd ibn Boweih rebuilt the dome, the surrounding galleries and constructed a screen of teak wood around the sepulchre. He also constructed houses all round the shrine and erected the boundary wall of the city. At the same time Imran ibn Shahin built a mosque adjacent to the tomb.
407 10th June, 1016 The buildings were damaged by fire and the Vizier, Al-Hassan ibn Al-Fadhil rebuilt them.
479 1086 The king Shah visited the holy shrine and reconstructed the shrine’s outer fence
620 4th February, 1223 The tomb was renovated by an-Nasir li-Din Allah
757 18th Sept. 1365 Sultan Owais ibn Hasan Jalairi remodelled the dome and raised the walls of the enclosure.
780 24th Feb. 1384 Ahmad ibn Owais erected two minarets covered with gold and extended the courtyard.
914 1508 When Shah Ismail Safawi visited the holy shrine he built a sacrophagus of the inlaid work over the grave.
920 26th Feb. 1514 The Safavid Sultan Ismaiel visited Karbala and built a box made of teak wood on the grave
932 1526 Sultan Ismaiel Al-Safawy donated a big fabulous silver net to be put on the grave
983 1575 Ali Basha, the governor of Baghdad called (Wannd Zadah) renewed the dome’s construction
1032 5th Nov. 1622 Shah Abbas Safavi constructed the screens (darih) of brass and bronze and decorated the dome with Kashani tiles.
1048 15th May 1638 Othman Sultan Murad IV, when he visited the holy shrine, whitewashed the exterior of the dome.
1135 1722 The wife of Nadir Shah gave orders to an overall reconstruction of the holy shrine and donated money for the shrine
1155 8th March 1742 Sultan Nadir Shah visited the holy shrine and decorated the building and offered valuable presents to the treasury of the shrine.
1211 7th July 1796 Shah Muhammad al-Qajary plastered the dome with gold
1216 14th May, 1801 Wahabbies attacked Karbala, destroyed the shrine, and looted the sepulcher
1227 1812 The shrine destroyed, Karbala’s people wrote a letter to the Sultan Fatih Ali Shah Qajary to help in restoring it, and he ordered to renew the dome and replace its golden plates, he sent an envoy to supervise the work
1232 21st Nov., 1817 Sultan Fatih Ali Shah renewed the silver Mesh and decorated the golden Iwan with gold and reconstructed what the Wahabbies had destroyed
1250 1834 Sultan Fatih Ali Shah built the two domes of the holy shrines of Imam Hussein and Abbas, he appointed his deputy Sadir A’dam (Ibrahim Khan AL-Shirazy)
1273 1856 Sultan Nasir Al-Deen Shah Qajary renewed the construction of the dome of the holy shrine and some of the gilding
1283 16th May, 1866 Nasiruddin Shah Qachar extended the courtyard of the shrine.
1351 1932 Renovating the base pillars of the courtyard.
1358 21st February, 1939 Dr. Taher Saifud-din, 51st Dai-el-Mutlaq of the Dawoodi Bohra community offered a set of screens of solid silver which are fixed in the shrine.
1360 29th January, 1941 Dr. Taher Saifud-din, 5lst Dai-el-Mutlaq of the Dawoodi Bohra community rebuilt the western minaret.
1367 20th Dec., 1948 Syed Abdul Rasul Khalsi, Administrator of Karbala acquired the houses in the neighbourhood of the courtyard according to the price fixed by the government, to build a road around the holy mausoleum and to extend the courtyard.
1370 1950 The Late Sabry Al-Hilaly, the handwriting artist, wrote the Sura (chapter) of (Al-Daher) in the holy shrines of Imam Hussein (SA)and Abbas and started working on the eastern side which was later attached to the courtyard and he used the precious Kashani bricks for decorating the Iwans.
1371 1951 The dome reconstructed and golden bricks were interposed for the second time.
1373 1953 The decorated mirrors of the holy shrine were renewed along with all porches, precious marble were brought from Asfahan to cover the walls of the two holy shrines, the upper part of the golden Iwan was gilded.
1383 1964 Reconstruction committee raised the Iwans and paved their walls with Kashanin bricks.
1384 1965 A Charitable person donated marble pillars to the golden Iwan.
1388 1968 The marble pillars were brought from Iran, they started demolishing the old Iwan’s ceiling and the cranes were sent to set up the marble.
1390 1970 Iron pillars were connected with underground bridges as bases of the marble pillars.
1392 1973 The cornerstone was placed for the building of the golden Iwan’s structure.
1394 1974 A plan for modernizing the shrine of Imam Hussein (SA)was put into action, it included rebuilding the golden Iwan with marble pillars and the western side of the courtyard was demolished and its walls paved with Kashani bricks.
1395 1975 The renovation process of the two holy shrines was launched, the front facades were covered with Kashani bricks, and a library and museum were built on the western side of the holy Imam Hussein (SA)shrine.
1396 1976 Ministry of Endowments decorated and restored the golden Iwan with Kashani and mosaic.
1400 1980 The related parts of the outer fence (hotels and houses and trade shops) were demolished, an outer fence of 11, 3 meters high surrounding the shrine was built with rooms and halls.
1424 2003 Establishing of the engineering body in the holy shrine that is the “committee of projects and quality control” (called after endorsing the new management law of the holy shrines the Section of Engineering and Technical Affairs), this Section established after the fall of the tyrant Saddam by the authorization of the highest committee formed by the highest Religious Authority to manage the holy shrines of Karbala , this committee has started on the day of its establishment,a development campaign to the holy shrine, it included replacing the outer fence’s rooms with service and managerial and engineering rooms instead, in addition to ten technical workshops, a religious school and two libraries ( one electronic) and a guestroom for the visitors and various stores and a security video monitoring system.
1st Ramdan 1424 2003 The establishment of the Media Committee, it consists of various departments, they are: audio and visual production Dep., It produces all the audio and the visual related to the holy shrine of Imam Hussein (SA) whether those related to the other sections fro documenting them their work or to record the different and various activities during the days of the special occasions when they exercise the special rites, also the section of celebrations making and supervising the T.V. channels work and Internet section which job was limited on receiving the e-mails and political reports making.
1425 2004 Two halls were opened in the western fence side; cultural sections were opened including developing the Internet section which designed the holy shrine’s website and forming the publication section which issues a monthly magazine and weekly newspaper and the visitor’s guide with many different paper editions.
1426 2005 A video broadcasting system from the holy shrine on the internet was opened for the religious and cultural activities of the holy shrine; it was the first of its kind among all other holy shrines in the world.
1426 2005 Inaugurating the project of building the second floor with (4000) meters, it includes a big hall for the religious commemorations and conferences, another one for the antiques museum and many other study halls and a researches centre related to the library and the manuscripts room and many other managerial and technical rooms.
1426 2005 Launching the project of covering the two minarets with gilded copper bricks and it was at the expense of the shrine’s earnings of two years after the tyrant’s fall, Iraqi teamwork has the lead in the main technical works and an Indian workers working on the adhesion and fixing works.

The repairing works and modifications that the holy shrine had witnessed since the martyrdom of Imam Hussain AS shrine until the present day are included in a form of a timetable with a reference to the date of each one. This timetable is quoted from the book entitled (Al-Husain and Al-Abbas shrines history). History of Imam Hussain (AS) shrine Hijri Year Gregorian Year Events 10th Moharram 61 lst October, 680 Imam Hussain (sa) was buried at this sacred spot. 65 18th August, 684 Mukhtar ibn Abu Obaidah Thaqafi built an enclosure around the grave, in the form of a mosque…

Review Overview

User Rating: Be the first one !
0
Translate »
Whatsapp Facebook